Just as a refresher, the 16 movies in the running are The Sandlot, The Princess Bride, Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King, Star Wars Episode IV: the Empire Strikes Back, Ocean’s Eleven, The Bourne Identity, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rocky IV, Warrior, August Rush, Captain America: Winter Soldier, The Dark Knight, 500 Days of Summer, Moulin Rouge, Pirates of Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl, and The Goonies. Remember, this is NOT a competition for my favorite movie (although many of my favorites are in there, I have several that aren’t). It’s to see which movie is the most classic— as in, which one I could watch forever, which one I would never get sick of. That said, here’s what our tournament looks like:
As you can see I’ve separated the 16 entries into four divisions by category: In the top left we have The Hero’s Journey; in the top right we have The All-Americans; taking up our bottom left quadrant we have The Epic Sagas; and finally in the bottom right we have, um, The Rest of Them. The rules are simple: I’m pretty much gonna make it up as we go.
- Our first pairing finds the bracket’s only two superheroes immediately battling it out for supremacy. I’d like to note, for nerddom’s sake, that in a real fight Batman would win. But will his movie fair the same?
- For this one I have no idea who would win in a fight. And I don’t care. Everybody involved is bada** and so are the movies in which they feature.
- Boy, I’m just a glutton for punishment, aren’t I? My two favorite movies from the two greatest trilogies in movie history. I apologize in advance.
- Both of these series have their ups and (way) downs. But these two installments are undeniably awesome. So, zombie-killing pirates or Nazi-killing archaeologists? (OR zombie pirates vs Nazi archaeologists!!)
- I watch TPB, and I want to learn swordplay. I watch Rocky, and I want to go lift logs in Russia. I guess whichever one motivates me more?
- This is really the match up I’ve been waiting for my whole life. Which preteen gang of neighborhood youths wins?
- I know I said this wasn’t about favorites. And it isn’t. This just happens to be my favorite heist movie against my favorite chick-flick. So that’ll be fun.
- The only musical installations in the tournament, this battle might just produce the dark horse of the tourney. Underrated feel-good vs. Polarizing musical. We shall see.
As for the results? Stay tuned.